Standard mailboxes are allowed without a permit
in the road right-of-way as a public service. Mailbox installation requirements are as follows:
- The face of the mailbox shall be placed a minimum of 6 feet off the edge of the blacktop or 1 foot behind the road shoulder, whichever is farthest from the center line of the road.
- Single mailboxes should be installed on 4 inches by 4 inches or 4.5-inch diameter wood posts or steel posts less than 3 pounds per foot.
- These supports should be embedded with no more than 24 inches in the ground.
- Multiple mailbox installations should be placed on individual supports spaced at least 3 inches apart. Planks or structures for multiple installations are not allowed.
- Mailboxes shall have colored or reflective numbers that are not less than 1 inch in size. Groups of mailboxes must be in sequential order, if the box is not on the same side of the street as the residence.
United States Post Office
For United States Post Office (USPS) standards, please visit the USPS website