What does the Road Commission do with my property tax?

Nothing! Contrary to popular belief, property taxes do not come to the Road Commission. However, residents may "tax" themselves in one of two ways. First, is for a special assessment district for a specific project their property fronts. Secondly is through either a township-wide or county-wide millage. Grand Traverse County has many county-wide millages, such as school, library, BATA, etc. In 2016 voters renewed a four-year, one mil tax for county-wide road improvements. Our main revenue source comes from the MIchigan Transportation Fund as a result of the purchases of gasoline and diesel fuels. Revenues also come from vehicle registration renewal which is shared with the Secretary of State for administration and processing the vehicle data. The fees collected fund 83 county road agencies, cities and villages with road systems and public transit.

Show All Answers

1. How are speed limits determined on county roads?
2. What causes a pothole?
3. What is the average cost to pave a mile of road?
4. What does the Road Commission do with my property tax?
5. Will the Road Commission pick up dead animals on the roadways?
6. My street light is out, who do I contact?
7. What is the road Right Of Way?
8. Do I need to get permission to put in a driveway or upgrade my existing driveway?
9. Can I move snow from my driveway to the ditch across the road?
10. Will the Road Commission replace or repair my mailbox that the plow hit?
11. Who do I contact about a ticket I received for parking on the county road?
12. Is it okay to park on the side of the road if my driveway is filled with snow?
13. Can I cut down a tree at the edge of the road by my property?
14. Why does it take so long for my road to be plowed?
15. Where can I pick up Adopt-A-Road bags?